There will be an info point with two WASPI representatives in Purple Hi Viz. vests near the P.A. system to the left of Old Palace Yard as you enter. Please listen for announcements as necessary.
Because the media will be on College Green, (also called
Abingdon Street Gardens
) we would like those who can to approach the meeting point from the south, and walk up Abingdon Street towards Westminster en route to Old Palace Yard. This will mean you can chant and make a racket as you go past and draw as much attention as possible to the demo, before arriving at our protest point at Old Palace Yard, which is marked with a purple wasp. The postcode is
You can either take the tube to St. James’s Park Tube and walk, (10 minutes) or if coming from Waterloo walk down Abingdon Street and past the WASPi protest point, turn round and walk back up chanting and waving your banners and flags. Please remember we must not obstruct the pavement.
If you are bringing banners to the protest please make sure they are facing the main road and that they are visible to everyone – and especially the media.
We would like there to be a ‘sea’ of WASPI women and supportive WASPI men dressed in black with WASPI sashes or alternatively black with a WASPI t-shirt. What a visual impact this will make!
If you are lobbying (and we hope you ALL will be), please read the
for instructions on where to go. Give yourself plenty of time as there will be possible delays due to the number of women wishing to get into the House. At peak times it can take up to 45 minutes. Police will be there to provide guidance.
If you meet your MP remember to take photos and invite him or her to take a photo of you and your group for their own Facebook pages and twitter accounts. If you use Facebook and Twitter please post photos during the day, and if Tweeting use #WASPI Campaign.
Inevitably, there are a number of guidelines, instructions and restrictions as agreed with the authorities. These are listed below. Please, respect them and ensure that you are safe, do not break the law and have an enjoyable time!
You are responsible for your own Health and Safety.
WASPI does not accept any liability whatsoever
- Please, stay on the pavements. You are in a busy, central London area with lots of traffic. If the demonstration area becomes congested please follow the instructions of the designated stewards.
- You are not allowed to sell any goods (related to WASPI or not) or refreshments
- You will be responsible for any litter that you may drop. We have been warned that the Westminster litter police will be out in force and will fine you on the spot
- You are therefore discouraged from handing out WASPI leaflets/literature - as when you are seen to do so and the recipient then discards the leaflet, you may be held responsible
- You are not allowed to release balloons. Should you wish to bring balloons, you must either dispose of them in dustbins or take them back home with you
- You are not allowed to fasten things to railings, street signs, lamp posts etc.
- Everything you bring along such as banners and placards must go back home with you and must not be left in the surroundings of the Houses of Parliament
And finally Public Toilets can be found at the station and opposite Westminster Abbey and if you are desperate or cheeky at The Methodist Central Hall (basement) - also opposite Westminster Abbey.
Come rain or shine - NOTHING will stop us from fighting for justice!
We have interesting speakers lined up:
- Peter Stefanovic, Lawyer and Journalist
- Dave Prentis, General Secretary, UNISON
- Tim Loughton MP (Con)
- Carolyn Harris MP (Labour)
- Barbara Keeley MP (Labour)
- Mark Williams MP (Lib Dem)
- Ian Blackford MP (SNP)
- Mhairi Black MP (SNP)
- Jason McCartney MP (Con)